CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Supports

When reflecting on my support system, I would definitely have to say that my three children, my twin brother and extended family would be my greatest supports. My three children have given me the strength and courage to live another day and to continue to strive for a better life for them. Being a single parent, I'm all my children have to lean on and look up to, with that said my main focus is to be that positive role model for them. My twin brother has Cerebral Palsy and he also looks at me for strength and guidance. He lives independently with two roommates who have CP as well. The have around the clock care with supportive staff to assist them. He is my support system solely because I know that he relies on me to make sure that the company who cares for him is following protocol and guidelines when it comes to him. Considering I'm the only one within our family who checks in on him on a regular basis, he relies on me heavily. My extended family supports me with my goals and tries to offer valid and useful advice. When I look back on the support that I have, it reveals how others rely on me to help them or be that person they can always come to in need of help or a listening ear. This type of support is fine with me because it's what keeps me going everyday. Just knowing that I am needed by someone is a great feeling. I don't have an idea as to where I would be without my children or family. They have given me the inner strength to be the person I am today and to continue to reach for higher goals.

I often think about what it be like if the shoe was on the other foot and I was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. I would wonder who would be there for me and how. My hopes would be that my family would support my everyday living and be proactive in my life. Just knowing that I have someone who looks in on me often and makes sure that I'm receiving the ultimate care in my living situation would be all that would need in terms of support. I would like to live as independently as possible but be aware that help is there if needed. Having a support system in place would mean a lot to me because with the challenges of CP can be overwhelming and to know I have family and friends who are there to comfort me through these challenges is what would brighten my cloudy days. Without them, being in this condition could be detrimental to my whole being.

1 comment:

  1. Family supports are so very important. I really enjoyed reading about your relationships and I have such a great respect for you and the things you do. Your actions and involvement with your family tells me you are a special person. I am glad I get to share my journey with you.

    ReplyDelete